Through your Vol First-Year Experience, you will have the opportunity to engage with peers, faculty, and staff within your academic college while learning how to navigate life at UT. The experience will:
- Enroll first-year scholars in two courses: a first-year seminar (FYS 101 or similar course) and an academic course
- 1-credit first-year seminar connecting you to critical resources like Vol Success Teams and the Academic Success Center. Topics covered in first-year seminars include Diversity & Inclusion, Health Education & Wellness, and Student Engagement & Leadership.
- 3-credit academic course required for your major. Connect with faculty and explore opportunities available in your major.
- Support you in building meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and one another
- Aid your transition to UT by connecting you with resources designed to support your success
Contact your advisor for more information about the Vol First-Year Experience.
First-Year Seminar Grid
Use this table to determine which 1-credit seminar applies to you. Register by going to my.utk.edu and clicking on add/drop classes. Find this course by entering the course subject (FYS) in the search bar while browsing for classes. Then select the title that matches your college/major and the section that will work with your schedule.
Note: Tickle College of Engineering, College of Agriculture, and Haslam College of Business students, contact with your advisor regarding specific first-year seminar classes you need to take that may not be in this list
|Arts & Sciences majors only||General – Arts & Sciences||101||FYS|
|Exploratory LLC students only (Undecided Students)||Exploratory – Arts & Sciences||101||FYS|
|College of Agriculture majors only||Herbert College of Agriculture||101||FYS|
|Education, Health and, Human Sciences majors only||Edu/Health/Human Sciences||101||FYS|
|Audiology and Speech Pathology majors only||Audiology and Speech Pathology||101||FYS|
|Education majors only||Education||101||FYS|
|Special Education majors only||Special Education||101||FYS|
|Nursing majors only||Nursing||101||FYS|
|Social work majors only||Social Work||101||FYS|
|College of Architecture + Design majors only||College of Arch & Design||101||FYS|
|1794 Scholars, Chancellor’s Honors, Haslam Scholars, and Honors Leadership Programs students only||FYS Honors & Scholars||101||FYS|
|Academy for Global Scholars students only||Academy for Global Scholars||101||FYS|
|College of Communication & Information majors only||CCI Majors||101||FYS|