Responsibilities and assigned tasks include, but are not limited to:
LIFE OF THE MIND/FIRST-YEAR STUDIES 100 (Summer–Fall)
- Work closely with the First-Year Studies assistant director to implement and manage online required course FYS 100;
- Support coordination and implementation of the Life of the Mind common reading program, assisting with the author campus visit, book selection advisory board, and annual Discussion Leader Seminar planning and logistics;
- Maintain FYS 100 e-mail account and assist with communication with students;
- Assist in the development and implementation of fall semester programming (film series, lectures, etc.);
- Assist in maintaining collaborative relationships with Alumni Affairs, Parents Association, Student Activities, Housing, Libraries, Orientation, Leadership & Service, Development, and other academic units as necessary.
FIRST-YEAR STUDIES 101 (Fall–Spring)
- Assist in the recruitment of undergraduate peer mentor leaders (additional support provided by peer mentor coordinators);
- Work collaboratively with FYS staff to prepare materials for 101 (handbook revisions, recruitment materials, annual conference materials);
- Assist coordination and logistics of annual Instructors Conference;
- Support and foster relationships with the faculty and staff that contribute to FYS 101, drafting and/or sending communication as requested;
- Research best practices in first-year initiatives and support coordination of departmental assessments.
VOLUNTEER BRIDGE PROGRAM (Summer–Spring)
- Assist the Bridge Program coordinator with all aspects of the Bridge Program, including recruitment, orientation, programming, academic coaching, assessment, etc. More information about the program can be found on the Bridge Program website.
FUNCTION AS STAFF MEMBER OF FIRST-YEAR STUDIES:
- Market First-Year Studies to students, parents, and other constituencies at orientation and campus browse sessions;
- Display initiative and resourcefulness in responding to programmatic needs;
- Respond verbally and/or electronically to requests from supervisor, staff, or students in a timely manner;
- Attend weekly staff meetings and any related training or staff development activities;
- Assist with the implementation, coordination, and assessment of other First-Year Studies programs as needed (including, but not limited to, learning communities, staff development, research, and benchmark reporting).