TERM OF APPOINTMENT: Fall or Spring Semester
HOURS: Each course should have a minimum of 13 class sessions that meet for 50 minutes each week. Time will also be spent on class preparation and grading.
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION REQUIREMENT: Exempt faculty and staff only
COMPENSATION: The compensation varies by position at the university, generally speaking instructors are compensated $2,000 for each section taught unless it is written into the position the individual holds.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Prepare my syllabus in accordance with the FYP seminar common syllabus and department standards.
- Meet with my students for ALL scheduled course sessions.
- Contact the Office of First-Year Programs if for any reason I am not able to meet with my class. I will make every attempt possible to find a suitable substitute for my missed course in advance.
- Adopt a student-centered and wellbeing pedagogy utilizing Seligman’s PERMA model.
- Actively engage as a student success advocate by utilizing best practices for student success and retention.
- Consult with my FYP Peer Mentor before the start of classes to complete the instructor/peer mentor agreement form.
- Allocate points in the syllabus to 1 mandatory PM student meeting outside of class.
- Utilize my Peer Mentor as a resource throughout the term in class.
- Complete mid-point check-in form with PM.
- Attend training and development opportunities provided by FYP
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Communicate timely with the Assistant Director for First-Year Programs.
- Upload syllabus to Canvas and update grades regularly throughout the term.
- Manage and maintain Canvas course. Update as needed with required modules and content.
- Schedule in-class observations as requested by the FYP department.
- Submit Attendance Record for FYP seminar course as needed.
- Complete Academic Alert notifications, for timely reporting of pertinent student interactions.
- Participate in the required University of Tennessee instructor evaluations.
- Submit final grades via myUTK by the deadline.
- Participate in end of term instructor self-assessment and survey.
- Submit PM final evaluation at the end of the term.
This document will serve as a reference point that can be used to evaluate the FYP seminar instructor experience and performance.